Sunday, March 3, 2013

#2 The Story and Planning

I have an idea about what my animated video should be about so I´ll describe it here. It will be a person drawing a knight on a paper. Then the knight comes to life and attacks the person who drew him (attacks the artist, in other words).

First thing that comes to mind is "this story is deeply unoriginal, it sounds like animator vs animation from YouTube". And it´s true, of course. On the other hand, total originality is not my goal and I like this idea, so I´m going to stick to it. I like it, because it involves a lot of action, so it´ll be probably interesting to draw. Or perhaps it won´t, I´ll see. 

I started by drawing roughly what the video should be like, some sketches of the important moments. You can see these below. It´s really very rough. It´s my version of writing the things down. I drew it, because I think writing something like a script wouldn´t be very helpful to me.


On the first picture, there are the first six important moments, the artist is drawing a knight (I don´t know what will the knight look like at this stage, I will think about that later) in the first three boxes. Then the knight hits the pencil with his shield (4), gets back to his initial position (5) and then we see the shocked author of the drawing (6).


The artist is trying to fight the knight with his pencil (7), but the knight hits the pencil with his shield again and takes it down (8), then hews it with his sword (9) and kicks the damaged pencil away (10). The artist goes to a drawer (11) and tries to hit the knight with an eraser (12).


Hitting different places with the eraser, the knight always escapes (13, 14), so the artist folds the paper to hide the knight (15, 16, 18). Box 17 didn´t go well, so lets ignore it.


The artist is shocked again (19) because the knight is cutting throught the paper (20) and gets out (21). So the artist goes to his drawer again (22) and uses a compass to pin the knight to one place (23, 24).


The artist makes a circle around the trapped knight (25, 26), and the surprised knight (27) falls into a hole created by the circle (28).



So, that´s it, the whole thing I will be trying to make into a short animated video. Next thing I plan to do is to draw these images (boxes) as frames (I will be drawing it on a transparent paper of size A5).

It may be a little too ambitious and too hard, now that I look at it. But if I didn't try, I wouldn't know, would I?



No comments:

Post a Comment