Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Rain Experiment

My last video is finished and it would be nice to start doing something new. Because I am not full of ideas this time, I´ve decided to do a rain test. Which is an attempt to create an animated rain. I´ll do some background city and there will be probably moving objects (apart from the rain, the rain itself will be moving of course). But nothing complicated. Because it´s about the rain.

It´s obvious that doing all individual drops of water and making them fall down is a stupid idea. It should be enough to make loads of short lines on a paper (all in the same direction) and then move the camera up on the paper. That could do the trick.

As always, I wouldn´t write about it if I didn´t have something done. Below is a picture of what I have drawn, if the word "drawn" can be used here, it´s just lines and I used a ruler, so it probably won´t be shown in Louvre any time soon.


I think if you look at the picture and all the lines and try to imagine them moving, it looks a little like rain. Next thing I´ve done was cutting the frames out of this. A frame is 16:9 size and the picture above is vertical, approximately 3 frames high. But I didn´t just cut it into three parts, that wouldn´t (probably) look good. I have started on the bottom end and made one frame. The next frame was 50 pixels above. The next one was 50 pixelse above, etc. This gave me 24 frames (one second of video, that´s a nice coincidence). But when I played it at 24 frames per second, the rain seemed too slow and not random enough. So I played all the odd-numbered frames first, then the even-numbered and then cycle it. And the result is below. Not bad, I think.


It´s very light, I don´t know if there is anything visible by the human eye on the picture and the video. But I hope there is. And I think I should get back to work on that city background.

2 comments:

  1. I like your rain. :) I think a nice red umbrella would be a cute splash of colour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!
    Not a bad idea. I am not so good with colours, but I could consider this idea. :D

    ReplyDelete